E&P GIS Training
ArcGIS Coordinate Reference Systems for Petroleum
Duration: 1 day
With a view to encouraging good practice within the oil and gas exploration and production (E&P) sector, the emphasis in this course is on developing the ArcGIS Desktop skills you need to successfully manage coordinate reference systems (CRS) issues within ArcView.
All spatial data is concerned with location on the surface of the earth and this ‘position’ is governed by the parameters of the CRS employed. If you do not manage coordinate reference systems correctly, your data could be incorrectly located with the potential for costly disasters and mistakes such as:
- Drilling in the wrong location
- Damage to existing infrastructure
- Incorrect positioning of geohazards
- Interpretation and modelling in wrong location
- Incorrect reserves calculation
Completing this course allows you to collect 4 AGI CPD points towards your professional development.
It is assumed that participants of this course have completed an introductory ArcGIS course or acquired equivalent knowledge. Although petroleum exploration and production (E&P) sector knowledge is not required, this course is geared towards assisting participants apply the EPSG developed guidelines on the use of CRS within the ArcGIS environment.
Data management, IT, geoscience and other professionals and support staff who are going to be building and managing spatial data for specific projects, assets or company wide data stores and need to be able to acquire the relevant ArcGIS skills and knowledge.
- E&P spatial data infrastructure focus
- Uses industry standard ArcGIS tools from Esri
- Short 1-day intensive module
- Hands-on learning by ‘doing’
- Develop the ArcView skills required to manage Coordinate Reference Systems
- Have a much better understanding of petroleum CRS sector standards
- Understand the workflows required to undertake datum transformations
- Work through some of the more common problems encountered in oil and gas and develop a strategy for dealing with these issues
- Properties of Coordinate Reference Systems
- Map Projections and the ArcMap Data Frame
- Exporting and Projecting Vector Data
- Raster Datasets and Coordinate Reference Systems
- Datum Transformations
- The EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset