Introductory course for basic or new users
Learn to use ArcMap and ArcCatalog in E&P workflows using petroleum data.
Learn basic concepts and common functionality
An entry-level course that teaches you how to use Esri’s ArcGIS for Desktop within oil and gas exploration and production (E&P) activities using petroleum industry spatial data and workflows. This course allows you to explore the benefits in applying Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to your petroleum workflows.
You will be introduced to fundamental ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcView) functionality that allows geoscientists to integrate spatial and non-spatial data and integrate, manage and analyse data to produce information for decision-making.
No geospatial knowledge is assumed beyond that acquired through the use of geological maps. It is not essential to have petroleum E&P sector knowledge however; this course is geared towards assisting participants to implement E&P workflows geospatially.
Geoscience professionals and support staff who are going to be using GIS tools and E&P project staff who need a basic understanding of GIS in order to manage geospatial projects.
- Focuses on how to manage E&P workflows using GIS and identifies the advantages – this is not a generic ‘learn about ArcGIS for Desktop’ course
- Uses industry standard ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcView) tools from Esri (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox)
- Two-day intensive course
- Instructor-led hands-on learning by ‘doing’
- Trainer demonstrations and course validation questions
- Provides the basis for learning more advanced techniques
- Define what GIS is and discuss how and why it is used in the petroleum industry
- Compare the data storage properties of vector and raster data and give an example of each
- Set-up an ArcGIS Project and differentiate between the various Table of Contents views
- Contrast the types of information that are stored in a layer file versus a feature class
- Import and link non-spatial datasets with spatial data using the georeferencing, join and relate tools
- Create new spatial data from a table of coordinates using the XY Event tool and save this data into a geodatabase
- Operate a variety of different editing tools to amend and extend a play fairway map
- Analyse and query spatial data to select and exclude data for the purpose of creating new data layers and support decision making
- Export data to produce layer and map packages for storing and sharing data
- Produce a map document using a corporate template and export this digital map as a graphic image