Exprodat recently held its first company day of 2015 and it was a great success. It’s a day filled with company updates from the Exprodat management team, technical workshops, team meetings and team-building social events.
I’m on the Sports and Social Committee and we always try to plan a fun activity as part of the day. This year, we decided to organise an outdoor ‘Geo Treasure Hunt’ quiz, to take advantage of the unusually beautiful weather that London had been experiencing.
Now, of course, being Esri ArcGIS Platform experts, we decided to do this using the some Platform tools – specifically the Windows desktop version of the Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS and the Collector for ArcGIS mobile app.
We split our staff into six teams, and sent them off to the surroundings of our office in central London to answer quiz questions by submitting geo-tagged photographs using their smartphones, on which they’d pre-installed the Collector for ArcGIS app. The teams’ answers were dynamically uploaded to ArcGIS Online as they went.
ArcGIS Collector iPhone app
An operations dashboard had been pre-configured to view this data and allow the Sports and Social Committee to monitor the teams’ progress from the office whilst sipping tea and eating biscuits.
ArcGIS Operations Dashboard desktop
You can take a look at our dashboard to see how our teams got on. You can do this in either version of Operations Dashboard, as follows:
- Windows desktop version: this gives the best user experience.
- Simply open Operations Dashboard on a Windows computer and enter Exprodat Company Day 2015 Treasure Hunt in the search box.
- You might need to download and install Operations Dashboard first.
- Browser version: a similar user experience with the advantage of cross-device support.
- Open the following link: Exprodat Company Day Treasure Hunt Web Dashboard.
- Note that in this version you can’t currently view the collected images as these are stored as Feature Attachments, which are not supported. No doubt this enhancement will be coming in a future version.
Want to try our quiz?
If you would like to attempt the quiz before looking at the answers our team came up with, I have recreated the quiz using a Story Map Journal configurable ArcGIS app.
ArcGIS Story Map Journal app
The questions we used are listed below. For each of the 10 questions, there is a ‘correct’ answer – but additional points were awarded for originality to encourage people to think outside the box.
Let us know how you get on 😉
Take a photo of a team member…
- With something over 3000 years old
- At the official centre of London, as defined in 1663
- With a queen
- With a camel
- With a lion
- With a gift horse
- On a Boris Bike
- With a church with a Chippendale in it
- With a Scottish poet
- With a British nurse shot for treason
Congratulations to our winners on the day; Silvija, Paola and Mark, aka the “Black Team”; for scoring the most points.
Posted by Dhowal Dalal, Senior GIS Consultant, Exprodat.