Learn to manage coordinate reference systems and ensure that your data is positioned correctly.
The emphasis in this course is on developing the ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcMap) skills you need to successfully manage coordinate reference system (CRS) issues by encouraging good practice within the oil and gas exploration and production (E&P) sector.
All spatial data is concerned with location on, above or below the surface of the earth and this ‘position’ is governed by the parameters of the CRS employed. If you do not manage CRSs correctly, your data could be incorrectly located increasing the potential for costly disasters and mistakes such as:
- Drilling in the wrong location
- Damage to existing infrastructure
- Incorrect positioning of geohazards
- Interpretation and modelling in wrong location
- Incorrect reserves calculation